Jobs with Justice is a national network of local coalitions that bring together labor unions, faith groups, community organizations, and student activists to fight for working people. Our members are in the streets in 46 cities in 24 states across the country.
Tell the Super-Committee: Make Wall Street Pay
The so-called deficit “Super Committee” – only 12 members of Congress – will have unprecedented power to shape federal budget priorities. But America is not broke, the economy is broken. We know how to fix it:
- Create good jobs – Full and Fair Employment
- Rebuild public and community infrastructure
- Make Wall Street and the corporate CEOs that broke the economy pay to fix it, starting with a Financial Speculation Tax (FST) and other provisions to make taxes fair.
Several organizations are delivering petitions to all the Super Committee members during this week's recess. Sign the petition today! Even a modest Financial Speculation Tax could generate enough revenue to cover the entire deficit-reduction mandate. That’s right, just one little thing, (which would be a good idea anyway) and the Committee can be done.
Sign the petition today!
We demand that any Senator or Congressperson serving on the Super Congress abide by the following principles:
• Make the Wealthy and Wall Street Pay Their Fair Share: Tax the wealthy and corporate profits at rates necessary for our nation’s strength and security instead of cutting vital public goods such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, infrastructure, public safety, environmental regulation, public education, housing, and services for the elderly and disabled. Start by ending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, demand that Wall Street and the big banks pay their taxes like the rest of America, close corporate tax loopholes
• Build the Real Economy, Tax the Wall Street Casino: After crashing our economy and getting a public bailout, Wall Street and the big banks are back to wild speculation instead of responsible lending. It’s time to follow England and other countries in adding a small financial speculation fee on every Wall Street transaction and use that money to invest in job creation and building the real economy.
• Make Job Creation the #1 Priority: America is not broke, but our economy is broken. Target additional revenue for investment in public services and critical infrastructure that will create jobs and stimulate private investment in job creation. Serious living wage job creation is the fastest way to fix the economy.
Our future depends on your action.