March 2nd Day of Action
For the past weeks we have seen students, workers, faith and community come together and prevent attacks to the public sector across the country. These attacks are threatening the basic structures of our society, including the right to an education and the right to full and fair employment. It is time to take action and demand a stop to the cuts!
, a project between and , is calling for a national day of action on March 2nd to defend the public sector.
State budget cuts to higher education are being made in states across the country and workers face cuts to pay, healthcare and pensions. Many of the workers on college campuses are caught in the crisis of both attacks to the public sector.
Join us on March 2nd to demand that the attacks on the public sector are stopped immediately. It’s time to:
- > Protect the vital public services our community needs, and the jobs of the people who deliver those services;
- > Ensure that higher education remains affordable and accessible to all;
- > Call for our elected leaders to recognize the emergency and take bold action to create new jobs that will put people back to work, rebuild our country’s infrastructure, and re-invest in higher education; and
- > Support workers seeking a job with justice, a living wage, the right to organize a union, a fair contract and a voice at work.
Never before has USSA, SLAP, and Jobs with Justice all come together for a single call to action. The vital importance of fighting the pandemic attacks on public education and workers required that each to unite with one voice in action.
Jobs with Justice and SLAP encourages all students concerned about state of public workers and the American public education system to stand up and fight back!
- > Take a page out of the Wisonsin play book and organize a rally or march at your state capitol building demonstrating public support for workers.
- > Educate your peers about the recent attacks on the public sector and how community members can get involved in the effort to stop them.
- > Host a call-in day where students call members of the
and the and demand federal investment in public workers.
Whatever you do, let Jobs with Justice and SLAP help promote and strengthen your organizing by uplifitng your campus' or community's actions through new media. Together, we can create an urgent national message that moves policy makers and the public to promote public need, public workers, and our public higher education system.
In "Other Data 1" tell us what you're doing to fight corporate greed!